How I Made Maker

How I Made A Wynonna Earp Peacemaker Sword

The very end of Wynonna Earp season 3 introduced a cool new weapon; Peacemaker: Sword Edition! (Spoilers… sorry)

Wynonna Earp acquiring Peacemaker sword

So obviously I had to make it.

One key feature I wanted was for the sword to look like a regular sword while the lights are off (even if it was a bit of a squishy looking sword).

Materials

I tried to use as many reclaimed materials I had lying around as possible, so this list might be a little interesting

Tools

  • Hand saw
  • Drill
  • Ruler
  • Cigarette lighter or heat gun
  • File
  • Rasp
  • Sandpaper
  • Knife
  • Sharpie and pencil
  • Clamps
  • Chisels and Wood carving tools
  • Safety! (safety glasses, gloves, mask etc)

Process

The very centre of the sword was the 2mm MDF, cut to 550mm x 60mm and tapered at the end 150mm to a point. I originally cut it far too short and had to add an extra 150mm section

Next I covered this wood in aluminium foil, superglued a metal rod down the middle, and then covered that in aluminium foil too. The metal rod turned out to be too flimsy, so I replaced it with the 1mm x10mm steel tube

Next was attaching the lights. I bought 4 meters of LED strip which came with it’s own controller. These strips separated at 1 meter intervals and came with sticky backs

I cut each 1 meter section in half, removed the waterproof coating, and stuck the strips down on the blade. I covered as much surface area as possible and made sure all connections were slightly overhanging the base

Some sections had to have an LED or two removed at the end to fit. The 1mm x 13mm steel tube was attached as a small handle (this will be inside the bigger handle) by cutting a slit in it and sliding it over some of the wood

Then I connected all the LEDs together with the splitters to ensure everything was working. These splitters were quite bulky, so they needed some modifications

I removed as much plastic as possible on the ends without exposing any of the metal from the terminals (don’t want anything shorting out). Then I cut the splitters in half and wired them together myself, as this was more compact

I am not a strong solderer, so I used the heat shrink solder connectors for this. Then I drilled a hole in the small handle so I could feed the wires through and have the end of the connector sticking out the base of the tube

I connected all eight individual 4 pin connectors to the one single 4 pin connector in the handle with more heat shrink solder connectors

Then I wrapped all the wires in Sellotape around the handle, and covered all connections between the LEDs in Sellotape too. Then I wrapped the whole sword in aluminium tape. Aluminium tape is conductive so it was very important to cover everything in Sellotape first, especially any exposed connections on the LED strips. My thinking was that maximising the reflective surfaces would help diffuse the lights from the LEDs.

Diffusing the LED lights was a big problem with this build. I first tried making the sword using rolls of wax paper to diffuse the light, but it didn’t look great. Eventually I settled on packing foam

I covered the sword in 4 layers of the packing foam. It diffused the light fairly well, but still had some banding

Next I wrapped the sword in one layer of blue cellophane

This gave the sword a bit more colour as the white packing foam was washing out the blue colour too much

Next was to cover the sword in a layer of mirror film

Because this sword is made of squishy materials I ended up with quite a wrinkly and soft texture. It’s not bad from a few feet away, but it’s far from perfect. Originally I was going to make the outside blade out of perspex but I didn’t really have the tools for it, maybe Peacemaker Sword v2

Next was the guard which I made out of the plywood. This stuff was rubbish to work with and contains some chemicals that I shouldn’t have breathed in… but it was very cheap (and also I didn’t know about the chemicals until way after)

I wanted the guard to be one solid section, so I marked out a rectangle in the middle

And then used a combination of the drill, wood carving tools, and a chisel to get all the material out of the middle

Then after filing and sanding down the inner edges it could be manoeuvred (with a lot of effort) around the wires on the handle to sit at the bottom of the blade

The mirror film wrinkled up and looked terrible where it met the guard, so I decided to carve out a seat for it in the guard. I traced the rough shape of the blade

And then carved out that shape from the top 3 or 4 layers of the plywood (NOT all the way through)

The blade now sat in the recess and looked a lot more smooth

Next I had to shape the guard

This wood was quite rubbish to work with (I had to buy the chisel and rasp just for this). I cut off the excess with the hand saw, used the rasp to get it down to size, then sanded it all down

For the final handle I used a 180mm length of a Rock Band drum kit leg (1mm x 28mm aluminium tube)

To get this attached to the guard I had to carve another recess

I fixed this using the epoxy adhesive (it’s angry stuff, glasses and gloves used)

Now I had something that resembled a sword!

The sword in the show is entirely metal, so I had to make the wooden guard look as such. I filled the holes in the base of the guard with some foam and then covered the guard and the handle in aluminium tape

I couldn’t properly make out the handle grip in the episode, but I could see that it was white. Using double sided tape I attached a piece of the packing foam around the handle to make the grip

I also made a ring using some foam and aluminium tape to sit at the base of the sword and make the join a bit less obvious

It looked a bit more intentional than the wrinkly mirror film

And that was it!